Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Anime "Rule of Two"

After spending the last year watching pretty much nothing but anime (and sports ...), I have come up with a pretty solid rule for figuring out of something is good or not.

You need to watch everything twice.

There have been some anime series that I kind of hated the first time around (Paniponi Dash comes to mind), but I have loved on subsequent viewings.  Likewise, there are series that I liked the first time, but struggle with a second time.  Funnily enough, they are mostly love dramas that I struggle to watch again - Love Hina, Suzuka, and Peach Girl, specifically.  They are fun the first time, but annoying the second time and I find myself skipping way too many episodes and scenes because they are either stupid or I don't want to watch awkward crap again.  I think perhaps they will be fun to watch again a while down the road, but not any time while they are still fresh in my memory.

I will fully admit, though, that I'm not a normal anime fan.  A lot of stuff I've liked are series that "real" anime fans think sucks.  I don't mind "moe".  I love fanservice, even if it is over the top.  I actually like to buy stuff instead of watching online or downloading.  I'm crazy.  But at least I'm not a weeaboo.

No comments:

Post a Comment