Wednesday, July 21, 2010

How I Choose the Anime I Watch

Not a review, but I thought it would be interesting to share how I choose the anime I buy and watch.  First, I'm not a weeaboo, so I don't know every hot thing from Japan coming down the pipeline.  I don't read manga, and don't care to.  I also don't really like taking advice and recommendations from other anime fans because they're dorks who would piss me off with a "Sub vs. Dub" debate or tell me the manga is better or say I have bad taste or something.  Seriously, screw those jerks.

Instead, I have my own way.  I start out with a series or movie I already know I like and I search for it on Amazon.  On Amazon's product pages, about halfway down, they have a section of recommended products that are similar to the one you are looking at or are items that other customers bought who have roughly the same taste as you do.  By looking through the dozens of products listed in this section, I can find similar anime to stuff I already like.

And from there, obviously, it sort of snowballs.  One series opens the door to a dozen more, which opens up a dozen more, which opens up a dozen more, etc.  Every time I think I'm finally whittling down my list of stuff to buy, I find ten more things to add. 

One important step is that I do read the user reviews of the series on Amazon before I decide if I want it or not.  The user reviews usually do a good job singling out fan service (hey, I likes it) and giving basic plot rundowns, so I can figure out if a series is for me pretty early on.  This process has only let me down once (the Galaxy Angel series, if you must know).

Ask a supposed anime fan about Divergence Eve / Misaki Chronicles or Kiddy Grade and they'll probably tell you they suck, but they have been some of my absolute favorites and I wouldn't have found them without my little system.

No comments:

Post a Comment